One day a few months ago I decided that I wanted vegan nachos, and pretty much threw together a recipe as I went along. I had made vegan nachos before, but these were different. I wasn’t sure how well that would turn out, but they tasted so amazing! I decided to do a recipe video for them, and although the photo & video do not do these nachos justice, let me tell you – they are delicious and extremely filling!
Above is the recipe video I made, and of course there is a special appearance by my rescue pittie, Stella!
Ingredients You Will Need:
(*amounts will depend on how much you are making, and measurements don’t have to be exact for this recipe)
- tortilla chips
- 1 can of pinto or black beans (or vegan refried beans)
- vegan cheese, shredded (I used Follow Your Heart American slices)
- vegan ground beef (I used Morningstar Grillers Crumbles)
- 1 large avocado
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small lime
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- water (for avocado sauce)
- diced tomato
- other toppings
What You Do:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and saute vegan ground beef.
- Shred the cheese. You will probably use the entire package!
- To make your own refried beans, drain 1 can of beans and place in blender. Add your favorite seasonings and blend until smooth. If necessary, add a little olive oil or water to help blend.
- Place tortilla chips in a single layer on a lined baking sheet.
- Spread the refried beans onto each chip.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Spoon on cooked ground beef.
- Bake in oven or toaster oven at approximately 380 degrees until cheese is melted (about 10 minutes or so).
- While the nachos are baking, place 1 large avocado in blender. Add olive oil, lime juice, and desired seasonings. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add water as necessary to thin out the mixture, but not so much that it waters the taste down. However, the sauce will be fairly thick even with added liquid.
- When nachos are done in oven, immediately add the avocado sauce, diced tomato, and other toppings. Enjoy!
As I said earlier, these nachos may look small and weak, but man are they filling! I don’t think they would save well in the fridge, but I never got to test out the theory because they were always completely gone within a few hours! Honestly, I think they tasted better than pretty much any non-vegan nachos I’ve had in my life. The avocado sauce definitely raises the bar, and it would also be tasty on other dishes. Bon Apetit!