Hello all my compassionate friends! I’m here in Beijing, week 3 of 52. I’ll be spending the next year here working with really adorable kids and exploring the culture and history. I thought today I would share some of my thoughts on Beijing, the capital of China, including my impression of how compassionate of a country it is – or isn’t… Here goes!
- It reminds me of any big city I would come across, like NYC or LA, or my hometown (Dallas)
- People here have no sense of body space (esp on the subway, bus, elevators, or really anywhere!)
- There are sooo many restaurants and stores. There is a lot of shopping to be done! And most things are very cheap to purchase.
- There is a very big foreign community here. I’ve seen people from America, Canada, Europe, Africa, and other places.
- The Chinese seem to admire Americans and their lifestyle/culture and sometimes they like to come up and take pictures of me and my friends.
- The outskirts of Beijing are surrounded by some beautiful scenery, esp the mountains.