Today it was over 80 degrees in South Texas, so I figured I better hurry up and post this cozy recipe before temperatures start warming up too much! ?
During these past couple of winter months, I would crave something warm to drink in the evenings but I didn’t want coffee because of the caffeine, and tea just wasn’t hitting the spot. Then I remembered I had peppermint essential oil lying around that I never used for anything. I threw together what I thought would be good… and it turned out amazing! Creamy, rich, not too sweet or chocolatey, with a kick of peppermint and a frothy top.
This recipe is very easy to make and perfect for cold weather, rainy days, watching movies, dessert, or just all around coziness ???
Ingredients You Will Need:
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I use organic, non-GMO soy milk but use your favorite kind)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 heaping tsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 tsp unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil
3 Easy Steps:
- Put milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the milk starts to simmer, add the cinnamon, maple syrup, cocoa powder, and essential oil. Stir together, but doesn’t have to be thorough because blender will do the rest.
- Add the mixture to blender, along with the coconut oil. Blend for about 10 seconds or until the hot chocolate is completely combined. Pour into a mug and enjoy!
The coconut oil gives a frothy, foamy surface and also adds to the richness of the drink. Just be careful not to add more than 3 drops of peppermint essential oil. It’s highly concentrated and even an extra drop will overwhelm your recipe! Case in point, I decided to add some oil to my morning coffee. I accidentally added an extra drop of the peppermint and the coffee tasted so bad I couldn’t drink it! But the right amount of the oil will be so tasty in your hot cocoa ☕️
Plus, peppermint essential oil has lots of heath benefits like reducing stomach aches and digestion issues, freshens bad breath, clears sinuses, relieves headaches, boosts energy, and more!